Starlink Launches Satellite Broadband Internet Service in Malaysia


Internet service provider Starlink has begun offering satellite broadband internet services in Malaysia, allowing the public to subscribe to their satellite broadband packages.

The satellite broadband service package, which provides download rates of up to 100 Mbps, costs 220 Malaysian Ringgit per month, according to information on the Starlink website. Users are not required to sign a contract, but they must acquire extra hardware, such as an electrically directed ground antenna, a Wi-Fi router, and related cables.

Starlink will provide two hardware options, with the conventional hardware costing 2,300 Malaysian Ringgit and being suited for household customers and standard internet applications. They will also sell high-performance hardware for power users and enterprise applications for 11,613 Malaysian Ringgit.

According to the firm, users can sample their service for 30 days and return the gear for a full refund if they are not satisfied.

The high-performance technology, according to Starlink, has improved resistance to harsh weather conditions, achieving three times the speed at temperatures above 35 degrees Celsius and giving superior sight, particularly in places with unavoidable impediments.

Users must pay an additional 100 Malaysian Ringgit for shipping and handling, in addition to the monthly charge and hardware cost, with a delivery period of one to two weeks.

Malaysia has become the 60th country to acquire Starlink’s satellite service, and it is the second country in Southeast Asia to do so, following the Philippines.

On the 15th of this month, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim announced that the government intends to employ 40 Starlink satellites to improve network infrastructure in universities, enabling faster internet speeds and broader coverage to assist studying on campuses.

To attain the aforementioned result, Anwar recently attended a video conference with SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk.

Last week, Communications and Multimedia Minister Fahmi Fadzil stated that the government has approved licenses allowing Starlink to provide local internet services. He stated that the government is willing to work with satellite communication providers such as Starlink to provide 100% internet access in densely populated areas.

He further stated that now, 97% of the population in densely populated areas has internet access, while the remaining 3% in geographically problematic areas, such as inland areas or inaccessible islands, still lack access.

You May Also Like…

%d bloggers like this: